My photo
Some Say It's For Lovers, United States

Friday, December 30, 2011

What It Brought


I've done a lot of complaining about 2011 lately, but in true me style, I took a moment to stop and smell the roses and even though it was a brief moment, I want to write about the good things that 2011 brought me.

I stepped up my golf game. I'm still working on it, but it's better.
I lost those 20 pounds that were making me feel like a beached whale.
I got a promotion at work.
I survived my car accident. It wasn't bad but still, it could have been.
I bought a new car. Which I LOVE.
I went to California again, which oddly enough was on my 2011 to do list.
I left the country for the first time.
I spent a day in London alone.
I spend days in Jordan and learning so many new things.
I made new friends.
I became closer to God, then moved away again and then moved closer again.
I fell in love. I don't have much else to say about that, other than I am trying to recover from not being able to be with the one that I love.
I learned what it feels like to be looked at by a man like nothing else exists.
I remembered what it's like to feel beautiful.
I started my Masters Degree.
I made an A in my first class.
I stood by my best friend as she married an amazing man. Truly maybe one of the only few good ones left.
I saw my friend who had given up on love and happiness, find someone and get married.
I saw a few good friends survive cancer. :)

Yes, there were bad times in 2011, may my dear sweet Grandmother, my hero, rest in peace, but at the end of the day, my trials and tribulations are what makes me stronger.

I still feel a little run down and a little off my game. My heart still aches and wishes for a different time and place. But I am healthy, I am successful, I am loved (even if it's not by a man), I have my family and friends, a home, a career, food on my table, clothes on my back, running water, electricity and the bare essentials of life that so many take for granted.


2011 brought new beginnings, sad endings and hopeful tomorrows.

I hope 2012 will do the same. I know it can't be all butterflies and rainbows but as long as the good and the bad balance each other out, that is all I can ask for. Anything more will be just more blessings to count.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

<3 way to go, Mel. This made me smile and inspired me to do the same.